Monday, August 1, 2011

Wednesday June 1, 2011


Hello friends,
Well I made it through my first dose of Rebif. I had some mild aches, but I don't know if it was the medication or my usual "you're getting older" reminders LOL. There is a long way to go before I can say I am home free. Over the next month I will be working up to the full dose of 44mcg. I am currently at 8. The act of intentionally causing yourself pain is so counter-intuitive. I didn't think I could actually inject myself with a needle. Luckily they provide an auto injector so I don't have to see the needle go into my skin. Now I just have to focus on minimizing the skin irritation. On the support group pages there are numerous threads dedicated to this particular side effect. Now that I have gotten over the fear of severe reactions and general aversion to needles, I can begin to focus on this new dilemma. Sometimes when you have to choose between bad and worse, bad isn’t so bad after all. I suppose any situation you face is a matter of perspective. Memorial Day has made me think about the service men and women who are faced with being so far away from their home and loved ones, facing death and uncertainty on a regular basis.  I would be willing to bet that some of them would trade places with me to be safe and at home with their families, but I don’t think I would trade places with them.  So it’s all about the perspective.
Experience has a way of changing your mind. I went to have my evaluation for Driver’s Rehabilitation last week. My physician and therapists feel that I have made enough progress to consider getting back on the road. However, liability being what it is, I have to have a full evaluation to make it official. While they are not able to take my license away, medical records indicating an impaired ability to drive would not look good in any legal proceeding that might arise as a result of a decision to drive if something where to go wrong.  Not being able to driver has become a major inconvenience as my life has started to move forward again. So I am sure can understand my eagerness to get this taken care of. Well when I get to my appointment I find out that funding for this (and other social services) is awaiting approval by the recently elected governor. I assume this all part of our “shared sacrifice”. It just seems to me that the majority of people making the sacrifices are those least able to object. The evaluation is very expensive so I understand that it seems like a great place to make cuts. I don’t mean to be political, but I believe it is the responsibility of a democratic government to care especially for those that have no other means of representation.
“It was once said that the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped”. ~ Hubert H. Humphrey
Of all the people who preach about pushing people to be independent, I wonder how many of them have ever experienced true dependence before. If they had, I am sure that they would realize that most people want nothing more than to be self-sufficient, but this is sometimes easier said than done.  Sorry if I went too far, I know that the best way to keep a friendship is to never discussion religion or politics, but I had to get that off my chest.
However, I won’t let this get me down either. My determination is without limits. Stack ‘em up and I will knock ‘em down. They don't know about me! 
So on that note, thanks for listening. I hope I wasn't too much of a downer today. Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment