Monday, August 22, 2011

Need for Speed

Hello friends,

I am happy to report that I made it through my first 40 hour week without complications. It was a little sad; I must admit I have come to enjoy my 3 day weekends, but I am very proud that I was able to achieve this goal. I even resumed my full assignment. So far, I feel that I have been able to attend to my responsibilities just as I did before. When the therapist first suggested the power chair, I was a little hesitant, maybe even a little self-conscious. Now that it has arrived; I don’t know how I managed without it. It is no longer a struggle to get through my day. On top of that, it is a lot of fun. Imagine if someone gave you a go cart to zip around in at your job. I am having a great time. This chair is amazing. I thought is would be big, slow and cumbersome. That couldn’t be farther from the truth, it is compact, fast and turns on a dime! Can you tell how much I am enjoying myself?! But, seriously, more than the fun of driving it around, the chair allows me to have enough energy left at the end of the day to have a personal life. Since I have been back to work, particularly hectic days have left me almost completely drained. Many evenings I go home and go straight to sleep. Cheryl had to wake me up to eat dinner. Now I have the freedom to fill my life with more than work, therapy and sleep.

This couldn’t have come at a better time because one of those opportunities I mentioned a few weeks back has come to fruition. I have accepted a second job. Now before you tell me to slow down and take it easy, this was an opportunity I have been working towards for over a year and just couldn’t pass it up. After careful evaluation of my situation, I accepted a position as an Adjunct Professor in the School of Social Work at my alma mater Grand Valley State University. I cannot begin to express to you how excited I am about this opportunity. Classes begin next week and I am working hard to prepare.  There is a lot more responsibility on this side of the desk than I ever considered. I am partially responsible for helping these students to become competent social worker who will one day be my colleagues. I hope I can do my small part to help them get there.

I hate to be so brief because there is so much more I want to tell you about, but the new semester is quickly approaching and I have work to do! I cannot wait to tell you about this newest chapter in my life and experience! Thanks for listening. Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment