Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday May 2, 2011


I had a wonderful weekend at home.  After I left the hospital I went to Logan’s (my favorite) for an amazing dinner! Because of the peanut shells (serious fall risk) I decided to use the wheel chair. Everything went great, but I became immediately aware of areas that are really difficult. Like hallway to the bathroom was zig-zagged with high chairs lining the wall. I have to admit before this  I probably never would have even noticed, but now having to navigate a wheel chair through this gauntlet I became keenly aware the problem. I was frustrated and a little angry that people take access to the bathroom for granted. I am lucky that my upper body is not impaired and I wasable to lift the high chairs out of the way. After dinner I stopped that manger and asked him to take care of the situation. I hope some else benefits from this.
Today was my first day of outpatient physical and occupational therapy. In PT the therapist felt that the weight-training I had been doing for the last year was very important. He thinks that I have likely lost some strength, but because I had been actively working to increase my strength and muscle mass, I am still within the guidelines for my age.
I joined the National Multiple Sclerosis Society Facebook page.  After reading posts by other members, I realize that my symptoms have been going on for quite some time. It turns out that a lot of those weird things that I tried to ignore weren’t in my head. The strange sensations, numbness and tingling were all signals that my brain was having problems. It was just hard for me to understand or even begin to explain to anyone else. Hearing that other people are having the same issues make me feel so much better. Even though I am beginning to intellectually understand and accept this illness, my symptoms are a bit strange (even to me). Some many people think they are going crazy before they are diagnosed. Many often go for months even years I friends, family and doctor’s thinking they are crazy before they find out the real problem. I am so glad I didn’t have to go through that.
Looking back over the last year and all of the seemingly meaningless, unrelated events that have happened in my life over the last year I can’t help but think there was a plan in place for me. For example, there was an apartment that wanted last year. It was a third floor unit with the laundry room in the basement. Glad that didn’t work out! I ended up with a first floor apartment with no stairs into the building. What a blessing in disguise. My decision to quit smoking, lose weight and start exercising have all helped me to physically cope with the symptoms of my illness ( as well as the adaptations they have required). I am so glad I haven’t had to haul that extra 50 pounds around in the wheelchair or on the crutches!
So now on to the next phase, recovery. I am looking forward to getting back to work and back to normal. I know there is a lot left to do, but getting back to work and back to my normal routine, will be an incredible psychological boost for me. I miss my life. I miss my work. I miss my friends.
By the way, to my co-workers - please feel free to share the link to this page. I have heard that people have had questions and confidentiality makes it difficult to share information.

No comments:

Post a Comment