Monday, August 1, 2011

Thursday May 5, 2011


Hello everyone! I had a pretty quiet day today. I was kind of tired, but I managed my home PT exercises and a 20 minute walk. I have lived here for months, but never noticed how nice my neighborhood was until today. All of the neat little houses and well manicured lawns. It is amazing how you can look at something every day and never actually see it.
Life sometimes moves so fast that if you are not careful you might miss it. So many of us (myself included) live our lives on a roller coaster. This can be an amazingly fun ride, but everything goes by so fast you hardly remember the trip except for the dizzying highs and unexpected lows. I think I will switch to the Ferris wheel for awhile. There are still incredible highs (and some lows for balance), but they come along slowly and give you the time to look around, appreciate the scenery and enjoy the ride. I have come to realize that while I cannot control the ups and downs in life (and believe me I tried my damnedest) will come from, but I can control how I approach them. I think that is the one thing that has given me peace of mind throughout this whole ordeal. There is nothing that I could have done to prevent this from happening to me nor can I will it away.  Learning to live with an illness that can take away what I considered my divine right, control over my own body, has taught me an important lesson. What I can control is my attitude. What I can do is work to manage my symptoms and take full advantage of my good days. I refuse to waste any of them being angry or feeling bad for myself.
My goals and priorities have changed so much in such a short time. I am on a completely different journey. I am 34 years old and I have never seen the ocean. Yeah, IKR! Crazy, huh?! Well I am committed to WALKING on the beach within one year. I will participate in the Grand Rapids MS Foundation walk next year. I will spend as much time as possible doing all the things that I enjoy. I will strengthen my relationships with my friends and family. I will continue to write about my experiences and try to find ways to help others who are on this journey.  I have been awed by the comments from a number of people about the value of this blog in their lives. I have never thought of myself as a writer, but maybe I will.  Jeez, I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I will do my best to trudge through! LOL
Well, tomorrow is my first appointment with the neurologist. Wish me luck! TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment