Monday, August 1, 2011

Thursday June 30, 2011

Hello friends,
It has been a long time since I had a chance to talk to you. It seems like my life has gone from 0 to 60 in an instant. It feels incredible to be back at work, but with the physical therapy and doctor’s appointments it can be a little hectic. I am loving every minute of it though! So much has happened over the last week, don’t know where to begin. I have cannot express the beauty of spending time with family, both by blood and by choice. Of all the things that are going on in my life this is the most important. I am much more comfortable about making decisions about how I want to spend my time. I refuse to spend my time on people or things that do not bring me joy. So thank you all from bringing me joy. I hope I am able to return a little of that joy to you.
I want to send congratulations to my brother Greg on completing his bachelors of fine arts degree in digital media! I went to Detroit last weekend to take part in this celebration. I stayed at a beautiful hotel. I thought this would be an easier option since many hotels have special rooms for people with disabilities and include things like wider doorway, larger bathrooms and shower grab bars. Sounds perfect right? Well turns out not so much. I checked in and proceeded to my room. I found out that that lovely thick carpeting used in 4 star hotels is horrible to try and move a wheelchair across. So as I huff and puff my way through the halls I just keep hoping that my room will be the next one. Sweat pouring down my face, I finally reached my room. I looked back in awe as I realized that this room was as far as possible from the elevator. Who had the bright idea to put the handicap room so far from the freaking elevator?! There was no way this was going to work! I immediately called the front desk and demanded to be moved to a room closer to the elevator (and for a bell hop, because there was no way I way wheeling myself any farther!).
Thankfully that was the only thing that didn’t go according to plan. That evening I was able to spend some time with my sorority sisters. Yes, some of you might have never guessed it, but I am a Greek LOL. So I must take a moment to recognize the Ladies of Gamma Phi Psi Sorority, Inc. Phi Psi Day I Die!!! For 16 years the Land of Green and Gold has held a piece of my heart. I also spent time with my blood family. This was my first trip home since my diagnosis, so it was a little strange. At first I was a little strange. The sad looks turned to a bit of shock and amazement as people saw just how much I am able to do. Suddenly it was back to normal :) That was so incredible.
Monday was a busy day as well.  I went to have my driver rehabilitation evaluation. It was basically testing my visual acuity, reasoning skills, and reaction time. When I scheduled this appointment I was told that a road test wouldn’t be scheduled yet because I may not need. I thought this meant that if I passed the clinical evaluation then that would be it and I would be free to drive again. Well… not quite. It turns out that I needed to pass this evaluation in order to qualify for the road test. In retrospect, I suppose it makes sense to check and see if I can see and think before you go out on the road with me, but I hate the fact that I have to wait longer to have my independence back. At any rate my road test is scheduled, so I WILL JUST HAVE TO HURRY UP AND WAIT!
I also had me evaluation for a powerchair. At first I resisted this idea, but I have been forced to re-consider. Since I have been back to work and returning to my regular level of activity, the constant use of the crutches and wheelchair is taking its toll on my body. The doctor’s and therapist have been constantly asking me about pain and seemed surprised that I did not have any. Well now I know why. The changes in my gait or who I walk is creating strain on new muscles. And they do NOT like it. I am also supporting myself with my shoulders. These joints where not designed for this and have not responded well to the reassignment of duties. When you hear someone describe a back spasm, there is no way that they can fully express the pain in words. The sudden incredible, crippling pain is enough to stop you in your tracks and bring you to tears. The first time it happened, if I hadn’t been sitting in my own living room I would have thought I had been shot! The sudden burning searing pain took my breath away. I am working to do regular stretching to help prevent these attacks. The only bright side is that at least for me the spasms only last for a few minutes at the most.
I was also able to attend another graduation for someone special in my life. Cheryl graduated from WMCAT. It was a long road and I am so proud of her! Congratulations! If you haven’t heard about this place I encourage you to take a moment and look it up.
The other major event is the impending arrival of my new baby. My puppy will be ready to come home from the breeder this weekend. I have attached his puppy. I know all parents say this, but isn’t he cute?! I haven’t picked a name yet, but I have a few ideas. I have been resting up because I know taking care of him will be a lot of work.





I have heard from a few people on that they have not been able post to this page. Please email me if this is a problem for you. Thank you for listening. Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment