Monday, August 1, 2011

Thursday April 28, 2011


What an amazing day. I am blessed to have such amazing friends who took an interest in one of my favorite hobbies and brought a poker tourney to me in the hospital to celebrate my pending discharge. Not mention is was excellent mental health and physical therapy. Thanks Adrianna, Stacy, Kristy and Cheryl – you guys are awesome!
Today was a very busy day. I walked over 300 feet continuously on my crutches and even started practicing using one crutch. One step at a time but I am well on my way! I also practiced bowling from a standing position and managed to hit 3 strikes in a row. Granted it wasn’t a regulation ball, but beggars can’t be choosers, right?!  My balance and coordination have improved significantly. I worked with the occupational therapist on skills to return to work eventually. Unfortunately, I also started to experience a new symptom today. I have an uncontrolled tremor in my left arm. Hopefully, this is the result of fatigue and not further lesion development.
I also found out the clinic where I will be receiving my ongoing treatment is a nationally recognized research and treatment program that is currently involved in major clinical trials (check the link under resource tab). I am very excited about the possible innovative treatments that will be available to me. I believe that you have two options in life: adapt or die. I am not ready to die, so I WILL adapt. I am hopeful that all the gains that I have made over the last few weeks are evidence that I will make a rapid and complete recovery. However, I understand that things might get worse before they get better. This will not weaken the strength of my resolve. I am determined to be successful.
I can’t wait to begin the next stage of my growth and development.

No comments:

Post a Comment