Friday, March 23, 2012

The Gateway to Freedom

Hello Friends,

I know I told you that I would continue my story about my ongoing medical care, but I had an experience that I had to share with you. In your life there are certain moments that alter your course. Sometimes they are catastrophic like a death or illness. Other times they are more subtle like a conversation or a chance encounter. Whether expected or a total surprise, these pivotal moments have the power to completely change you perspective on life, yourself or the world around you. I believe that I had one of these moments earlier this week. There is quite an information gap between this situation and my last blog, so please forgive this jump.

On Monday I was in downtown Detroit to get an expedited passport. I ended up with a couple of hours to kill while I waited for my passport and decided to explore downtown with Cheryl. We ended up in Hart Plaza. Some very happy childhood memories were at Hart Plaza, but I haven't visited in at least 10 or 15 years. When we made our way to the river's edge I found that and incredible statue has been erected. A statue honoring this location as a major final stop on the Underground Railroad. While I have long been aware of Detroit's significance in African-American history and the fight to end slavery, but in that moment looking at this statue it became so incredibly real to me.
Standing on the same spot were my ancestors likely stood, trying to leave this country for reasons very different from my own touched me in a very powerful way. I suddenly realized that all my stress and anxiety surrounding my upcoming trip absolutely paled in comparison to those who stood on this spot so long ago. I just stood there for awhile wondering what these people must have been thinking. Many had left families and the only homes that they had ever known, risking beatings and even death if they were caught, for a chance at a better life. Standing here with there destination finally in sight must have been amazing and very scary. The Detroit river must have been a perilous crossing likely at night and probably using hastily constructed flotation devices. I wondered if many of those who crossed even knew how to swim. How scary would the crossing be if you knew that falling in might lead to your death mere yards away from the finish line?

I am so grateful for all the things I have been blessed with. I am so thankful for all of the opportunities that are available to me. I am so thankful for those who came before me and made the journeys and made the sacrifices that have paved the road for the freedoms that I now enjoy.
Unfortunaely, I am torn. In the same moment as I am awed by the freedoms I now enjoy, I am pained by the injustice that continues to permeate our society.
As I ponder these two very different yet in many ways similar moments in American history I am reminded of a couple of quotes about the consequences of inaction in the face of injustice.

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Martin Niemöller

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke

I wonder what my life would have been like if the people depicted in that statue had decided to do nothing...

No comments:

Post a Comment